A police constable, his two sons and a businessman are facing criminal charges after investigators uncovered an alleged extortion network accused of targeting more than 50 foreign-owned shops in Khayamandi and Stellenbosch.
The case has raised fresh concerns about the vulnerability of small businesses to organised extortion, particularly where alleged criminal activity involves a member of the police service who is expected to protect communities and uphold the law.
The operation was led by South African Police Service (SAPS) provincial serious violent crime detectives, with support from Crime Intelligence, the SAPS Drone Unit, the National Prosecuting Authority, City of Cape Town agencies and the Financial Intelligence Centre.
Police Constable Madoda Sibango, his sons Yamkela and Sandile, and Somali businessman Ali Mursal appeared briefly before the Bellville Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday. They were arrested on Sunday during a police takedown operation in Bellville.
The accused face charges of acquiring and possessing proceeds of crime and conspiracy to commit money laundering.
The group allegedly targeted more than 50 foreign- owned businesses and demanded regular payments over an extended period. Police allege that Mursal played a role in collecting money from the targeted businesses, while the Sibangos are accused of participating in the alleged extortion operation.
The investigation, according to Western Cape police, has been under way since last year. Provincial Deputy Police Commissioner for Crime Detection, Bongani Maqhashalala, said investigators analysed the alleged network’s methods and established links between Cape Town and Stellenbosch. “We studied and analysed the modus operandi of the network,” Maqhashalala said, explaining that investigators established that people from Cape Town travelled to Stellenbosch to allegedly extort foreign nationals.
The alleged scheme is significant for the local business environment because extortion can place additional financial pressure on small retailers already operating in competitive markets. Regular illegal payments can reduce cash available for stock, wages, expansion and other operating costs, while fear of retaliation may discourage victims from reporting crimes.
The four accused are expected to return to court next Tuesday for bail applications.
The SAPS said during the operation they seized R120 000 in cash, four vehicles allegedly used by the suspects in the commission of the crime, whose estimated value is R3 million and an undisclosed number of cellular phones.
The suspects face charges related to the crime of extortion, money laundering and contravention of sections of the prevention of organised crime act (POCA).
Police said the project investigation was established two years ago and that more arrests are expected in due course.
Western Cape SAPS encourage community members to report extortion related crime to the Extortion line 0800 31 4444.
Western Cape Minister for Police Oversight and Community Safety, Anroux Marais also urged businesses and community members to report extortion attempts at the earliest possible stage.
“One of the greatest challenges in dealing with extortion is that victims are often afraid to report threats because they fear retaliation. But early reporting can save lives. We cannot wait until an extortion attempt escalates into an assault, a shooting or a murder before we act. Every threat must be taken seriously and reported so that law enforcement has an opportunity to intervene before lives are lost,” Marais said.

























































